Saturday, February 7, 2015

Rideau Canal


The Rideau Canal freezes here in Ottawa and becomes one large skating rink. Today I skated 11 km on the canal. It gave me time to reflect on the week, the amazing things I've seen and the experiences I've had. It's interesting how much thinking you can get done as skaters buzz by. I've experienced some very unique things on this trip, it will be nice to have some time to absorb it. I'd like to come back to the area and have a bit more time to take in some of it. Possibly see some of the things we missed. Ice fishing, quinzee building, cross country skiing and ice carving. I feel like I've only scratched the surface of all there is. This could be the perfect area to connect with winter, possibly on a quiet snow shoe to some place remote with time to connect with the area. 


We did get to see some of Winterlude today. The ice carving was interesting to watch, the technique looked similar to large scale wood carving. Very unique sculptures, some with fine pieces that made me wonder how they were still standing. 

No comments: