Thursday, March 31, 2011

The world is a changing

After watching footage of the Japan earth quake and tsunami I've been thinking about several things.

One I am still dumbfounded when watching footage. It's like watching a movie, my eyes watch it but my brain has a hard time processing that much devastation.

I am amazed at how well the country seems to be handling it. I wonder how well my own country and city would handle something of that magnitude?

I live on an Island and as long as I can remember there has been talk of it "sinking". We've had minor earthquakes but nothing causing major damage in my lifespan. Watching the Japan disaster on the news has made me re think my own evacuation plans, if I was to need to leave with little notice.

We've got three horses, at one time we had as many as 20. For the first time in either mine or my husbands life we can load all our animals in one trailer load if need be. It's a comforting feeling. It's got living quarters for us and our kitty (of course he's got a travel box!) so we could if need be pack in a short time frame and be mobile.

What has me wondering if how would the Island itself handle an evacuation? Would you head for higher ground or try to get off the Island completely? What households things would you grab in a short time frame? What would you leave behind?

It's all a bit mind boggling, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately and wondering what exactly I'd do?

1 comment:

kathyd said...

think about this all the time living in california . the good news is no big buildings and mild weather.