Sunday, October 7, 2012

Monsters at the MAG




Yesterday afternoon I attended the artists opening of Monsters at the Metchosin Art Gallery. This show features the work of Frank Mitchell and Sylvia Bews Wright. This show has paintings of various politicians, dictators and tyrants through out the years. First off let me say politics is not normally my thing, friends would be thinking right now "you went to an art show featuring politics?" but this show blew me away for many reasons.

I saw Franks pieces (picture above is of some of them) during the Stinking Fish Studio pre tour in his studio and I'll admit I was really overwhelmed. They were all on one wall in a small space and it was just too much for me to take in. But in the MAG (Metchosin Art Gallery) they were spread out a bit more and in a larger space it really gave me a chance to appreciate them. It gave me space to take in and think about the pieces.

Syvlia's work I've not seen before, a photo of one of her pieces below. I apologize for the washed out quality it's a Iphone photo! Her pieces were larger and a bit brighter (colour) and they also caught my attention and made me pause and think. 


I have to say I was really impressed with this show. It's the third show I've seen at the MAG now and each show is well curated and impeccably hung. The space suits all work and I'm pretty excited it's right here in Metchosin. Any artists looking for space for shows should definitely submit a proposal to the MAG.

No comments: